How I Was Fooled By A Mastering Engineer

| Mastering, Mixing, Plugins, Tips

It’s amazing how easily our ears can be tricked into hearing something that’s not really there.

Specifically, loudness can dramatically change how we perceive a piece of audio.

I re-learned this lesson yesterday when I got fooled by my friend and mastering engineer Ian Shepherd at the Audio Bloggers Live event in L.A. and what a powerful lesson it is.

13756349813_cdeb2d1443_z

The Bass Response Was Much Better

Ian is a brilliant mastering engineer and content creator who has an incredible resource that you should checkout immediately after reading this.

He also is a sneaky little bugger.

In opening the morning’s session, Ian played the audience two versions of a master and asked if we could hear a difference between the two.

Most of us in the room could indeed hear a difference.

When asked which one we preferred, the room was someone split with some preferring Master A, and some preferring Master B.

I preferred Master A. And when asked what it was about that version that I liked I said “It has more bottom end. The bass response seemed much better and fuller.”

Well, there indeed was a difference in the two masters. Do you know what it was?

Master A (the one with “better bass response”) was the exact same as Master B, only it was 1db louder.

Don’t I just feel silly.

Is That Plugin Really Helping?

The point that Ian was trying to make (and it’s one of the most powerful things you could learn) is simply this: we as humans will always prefer something that is louder because of a perceived increase in top and bottom end.

Knowing this fact, you simply cannot make a fair comparison from one song to the other – or one plugin to another – if you don’t level match.

Let me repeat that: you simply cannot make a fair comparison from one song to the other – or one plugin to another – if you don’t level match.

And this is where the concept is powerful for you as a mixer.

When you drop in a plugin on a track, tweak some settings, and it sounds better to you – ask yourself this: does it really sound better, or am I just making it slightly louder?

The only way to know is to pull the output of that plugin down until the processed signal is the same volume as the unprocessed signal.

Flip the plugin on and off, making sure the volume is the same.

Now listen again and ask “Does it really sound better with the plugin on?”

If it does – great. You’re actually helping the mix.

If it sounds worse (or even the same) then get rid of the plugin or find a better setting!

Don’t Let Yourself Get Fooled

Here’s the thing – it is annoyingly easy to fool yourself into thinking a plugin, or mix technique, or piece of analog gear is making your track sound better when in reality it’s simply making it a half dB or more louder.

So do the right thing – level match as best you can, everywhere you can so you are in a position to truly make an accurate decision.

You might find that you don’t need nearly as many plugins as you previously thought, when instead you could simply turn your mix up!

Want amazing home mastering tips? Read Ian’s blog and watch his videos here.

There’s a ridiculous amount of amazing free content there that will only help your tracks sound more awesome. Plus he has a smashing British accent.

Better Mixes. Same Plugins

Learn the 3 steps to get more clarity and punch on your next mix, guaranteed!

20 Responses to “How I Was Fooled By A Mastering Engineer”

1. Andy

I remember when Joe Gilder and Graham talked about simply turning a fader up or down instead of reaching for more plug ins in one of their podcasts.

2. Martin

Laughing to myself over “sneaky little bugger”, it’s funny to see an American type that. 😉 Great post, Graham. Once again echoing what we need to be reminded on!

• Damian

Although “you” may not find it interesting…the principal itself is quite important.

Thanks Graham…

3. Adam

Thanks Graham for a great article.
    I agree, that louder always seems better. I was fooled many times as well, especially with compressors.
    But there’s one more thing some gear (probably most noticeable on guitar amps) react differently to different volume levels. Some sound more compressed on higher volume settings, or some frequencies may be more accentuated. So in fact the louder version might have more bottom end. Just thoughts.

4. Matt

There are a bunch of plug-ins that either have automatic gain compensation (eg. Slate FG-X, Melda Bundle, Luftikus, Tokyo Dawn range) or at least indicate how many dB off the average output level is from the average input level (eg. Voxengo Curve EQ). Why more manufacturers don’t implement that facility, I don’t know as it’s really bloomin’ useful!

• Serge

I have found that the automatic gain compensation on most compressor plugins is disastrous; way off…I end up having to do it either by ear, or with a good metering plugin.

5. Hugo

Just curious, when you try to level match back the audio after applying the plugin do you level match according to digital metering or according to audition? i’ve done it both ways and personnally got better results setting it back according to my auditionning.

Any thoughts?

• Guillermo

Same question! Level match related to the meter or to perceived loudness?

• Mark Castellanos

Hey Hugo. I think if you have very experienced ears, there wouldn’t be any problem to do it by ear, if not a metering plugin should be needed.

6. Matt Higgins

Graham! Thanks so much for coming all the way out here to do this event! It was a fantastic event and we really appreciated your time!

7. Serge

A great tool to do the level matching (among other functions) is NuGen’s MasterCheck, with the Send plugin before the processing of interest. It will automatically match the level if you wish.

8. Jordan B.

I was also fooled by Mr. Shepherd’s examples. It reminded me more so that I need to keep more consistent monitor levels. Something that is easily lost track of, at least for me.

9. Pete M

Nigel Tuffnell already knew that in the 80’s, when he said:

“This is one louder” 😉

Great article, by the way. I read it a few days earlier on Mr. Sheperds’ site. I went for the quieter version, because I felt it had a bit more clarity( @Andi Picker).

10. Loz Grover

The importance of level matching can’t be overstated. It’s always good to be reminded of this – sneaky little bugger indeed! good article :)

1.  Friday Roundup March 11, 2016 | Unveilmusic.com