Using Delay As Reverb [Video]

| Audio Example, Mixing, Plugins, Pro Tools, Tips, Video

Confession: I hate using reverb. It’s honestly not one of my strong suits. What I like instead, however are delays. In fact I actually enjoy using delays in a way that mimics the effect of a good reverb. Check out today’s video to see what I’m talking about.

13 Responses to “Using Delay As Reverb [Video]”

1. Rod

Really effective example Graham…I’m going to try some of this today! I’m not anti-reverb, in fact, done well I think it’s awesome, but I pretty much suck at it too :)

If you ever get the chance, listen to Sting’s “Soul Cages” album. This is one of my most used reference CD’s. The reverb work is heavenly, the snare drums (Manu Katche) are my all time favorites.

2. Cody

I really relate to this, Graham. I always thought reverb was “cooler,” so I have been trying to make my mixes sit with that reverb, and as time has gone on, I’ve just kept lowering the fader on my reverb more and more as I realize it just doesn’t sound “natural.” Finally, I’m tired of listening back to my mixes and feeling icky about that reverb, and, I think, like you, I’m headed more toward the delay path now. Thanks, Graham!

3. Jordan

I do this too! Dont even know why, just started finding out I could use delays in really awesome ways.

4. Dan Updegraff

I struggle the same as you with reverb. This looks really cool. Can’t wait to try it in my next mix!

BTW – What did you use on the snare for reverb? I love its tail.

5. Scott

Cheers for this Graham ive been mixing a speed metal band atm and i found the reverb made it too muddy and just not like a live band. This delay technique has worked brilliantly thankyou for all the great videos, just shows all these techniques are transferable to diffrent genres.

6. Rafael

Graham, it would be great if you could use this song more times in the next videos, its the first Blues i saw you working on and its just awesome

7. Steve

Great vid and you showed your PANNING…took you long enough lol. Im realizing a lot of what I tght was reverb on tracks I admire was actually clever use of delay.

8. Steve

Idea for controversial post…is it necessary to learn/know/use pro tools for mixing /recording or is it just a popularity thing like the iphone?

9. Troy Musson

Hi

Can someone tell me which would be the best approach with mixing vsti’s as regards to reverb.Is it best to turn the instruments reverb off and use only plugin reverbs and delays in your DAW or does i not really matter?