Mastering With Stock Plugins: EQ [Video]

| Audio Example, Mastering, Plugins, Tips, Video

Confused about the mastering process? Wonder what plugins you really need to start mastering your mixes to perfection? Have no fear. Today I’m introducing one of three simple videos on how to master your tracks in any DAW with stock plugins. We’ll cover the big three in mastering: EQ, compression, and limiting. Today I want to start with the power of EQ.

32 Responses to “Mastering With Stock Plugins: EQ [Video]”

1. Glen

Graham. You are the man. I have a project to master, so today I told myself “I’m going to research mastering some more.”

And bam. Same day service. Thanks for the vid brother.

Glen

2. Tal

Graham,
    Very nice tutorial for us folks that need a simplistic approach. Ian’s site sometimes can give me information overload, however he is definitely an excellent source. I am just wondering about your use of Studio One. Joe has pretty much abandoned Pro Tools for Studio One and now I see you have a video with Studio One. Are you “on the fence” with regards to a switch of DAW’s? I know that the processes are pretty much interchangeable, however the “environment”, if you will, is sometimes difficult visualizing. I was just curious my friend and please take care!
    In His Name, Tal

Hi Tal,

Glad the video helped. Nope, I’m firmly a Pro Tools guy for recording, editing, and mixing. I just like Studio One for mastering.

3. Gustavo Andrade

Hey Graham! I’m still a bit confused as to what you did in the video. Shouldn’t these adjustments be done in the mixing stage? What I mean´╗┐ is that you’re using EQ on the whole mix but focusing on one instrument at a time. Thaks for all the great videos by the way!

Hi Gustavo,

For me as the mastering engineer, I wasn’t given a chance to mix it. So I can only use an EQ to make these adjustments. Bet even if you are mastering your own material, you’ll likely use EQ to make these balances as you start to notice what’s missing with your mixes as a whole.

4. CHoffman

Another good one. Thanks Graham. I’m learning over and over that little moves add up to matter big!

-C

5. Tsen

Graham,

What is it about Studio One that you like for mastering? I record and mix in Cubase. But when it comes to mastering, should I be using another DAW to give different perspective like what you’re doing here?

Thanks and keep up the great work Graham!

No reason to use another DAW just for mastering. I mastered in Pro Tools for years. I just like the Project page workflow in Studio One. It also allows me to embed meta data for digital releases. Super fast.

• Mike

plus Studio One is a cheap all in one solution for Recording, Mixing and Mastering since it contains a feature that Wavelab users had to wait for for years: saving a CD project in ddp format, that means direct access to the CD factory protocoll.

• andy

Hi Mike,

This is good info. What is the going rate for 1000 CDs these days if you deliver the “master” as a digital file or files? The last time we pressed 1000 it was 2001 and I think we had to give Rainbo Records (or someone like that) digital audio tape for the pressing.

Thanks

Andy

6. Vlad

Hello Graham! I recently started doing the sound direction, but always ask the Lord to guide me in the right direction. And now the Lord has led me to you. Praise Him for that! And thank you for your work!

7. ZIONIRIE

HI GRAHAM BLESSED…..TELL ME WHAT SHOULD THE PEAK OF THE TRACK BE BEFORE MASTERING….GIVE THANKS AND PRAISE

8. todd

nice videos graham – what software do you use to record the video from your laptop?

thanks!

9. mike

Thanks for these mastering lessons.

Would love to see a video on the thing that I have yet to really “get” about mastering, which is making everything sound like it goes together without making any individual tracks sound unnatural by squashing them too much etc.

10. Max Velazquez

Wow, you never cease to amaze me. Your ears are golden dude. I didn’t really notice some of the things you corrected until you pointed them out. anyway what did you mean by “It’s hard to mix in isolation”?

It’s hard when focusing on one mix, to have perspective. It’s only when playing that mix against another mix that you sometimes notice things out of place.

11. Private

Hello Graham.

Somehwere i read, when i perform the frequency-sweep and i have those high-resonating ‘bleeping’ sounds, like in your video at 04:30 min,
    i need to cut those frequencies out with a tight Q setting and add them with an enhancer later.

That never gave me the desired result. So is it necessary to be that picky
    to cut every bleeping frequency or is it better to leave the mix as it is ?

Just take out what annoys you or hurts the mix. If you’re fine with it, leave it in.

1.  Mastering With Stock Plugins: Compression [Video] » The Recording Revolution
  2.  025 Making My Own Music – I Love Pivvot | Making My Own Music