Recording Your Band With Only One Microphone [Video]

| Audio Example, Mixing, Plugins, Pro Tools, Tips, Video

I’m a sucker for a studio challenge. Recently I decided to track an entire band production using only one microphone and a low cost audio interface. Why? Because that’s what many of you actually have in your home studio! The gear of choice: a Behringer B1 ($100 condenser mic) and the new Avid Fast Track Solo ($179 USB interface), all recorded and mixed on the included free Pro Tools Express software (using only the included stock plugins). Here’s how it all went down…

Biggest Recording Challenge – Drums

As you can imagine, the biggest challenge of recording with one microphone is capturing a complex instrument like acoustic drums. Finding the optimal position that gives you a balance of enough kick, snare, and toms, without the cymbals overpowering it was a challenge. We found the over the shoulder position ideal because it blocked the hi hat a bit (which was overbearing) and allowed us a direct line to the kick drum, snare, and toms.

We actually tried an SM57 just for fun (instead of the Behringer) and it had a nice punchy sound to it. The toms sound fantastic in that mic and the cymbals were a bit more subdued, which we liked. However, the biggest drawback to the 57 in this case was the lack of kick drum. It just disappeared. When we swapped the Behringer back in the fattness of the kick and the snare came to life.

Biggest Mixing Challenge – Headphones

I initially thought the big challenge of mixing in Pro Tools Express would be the limited number of plugins and effects. Turns out you get more than enough tools to get the job done. I used the stock Avid Compressor and EQ on just about every track. I love the included 1176 copy compressor as well. Great on vocals and parallel compression for the drums.

In reality the biggest challenge was having to mix entirely on headphones. It was critical that I take the mix out to some other speakers and to the car to get some perspective. I also brought in a reference track to see how my mix compared on my headphones and through the Avid Fast Track’s converters. A little final EQ balance on the mix buss brought things a bit closer to the pro mix.

Lessons Learned

In taking on this self-imposed challenged I learned a few valuable lessons that I hope will bear fruit in your musical endeavors.

1. Limitations force you to think creatively and┬ádecisively. With only one mic to track drums, we had to really listen hard to discern if we had enough of every element captured. We couldn’t assume that we could tweak later, we had to get it right at the source!
  2. You can make a lot of sound with only 16 tracks. Probably the biggest limitation to Pro Tools Express is the track count. You can only have up to 16 audio tracks at a time. This forced me to give priority to some tracks and parts over others and be really intentional about the arrangement. In the end we got a big sound with only a handful of tracks.
  3. Mixing happens faster when you don’t have a lot of choice. I mixed this song in about an hour. I probably spent another 30 minutes or so tweaking and adjusting, but the core mix came together in only 60 minutes. Nice. More time to do other stuff!
  4. There are no excuses anymore. This type of experiment will either encourage you, or crush you. The fact that anyone can make a great sounding track with stuff that cost less than $300 on a laptop proves that there simply no more excuses holding you back. Honestly the only thing that can hold you back from making great music is lack of talent, desire, or motivation. The gear and tools are no longer a barrier. Viva la revolution!

153 Responses to “Recording Your Band With Only One Microphone [Video]”

1. Skeet Sirmons

Graham, your one mic challenge was incredible. I have been trying very hard to keep myself focused on using the gear I already have in my studio (Studio One Pro, KRK Monitors, RODE NT1 Mic) rather than always searching for the magic bullet that will make everything better. So far, what I have has done the job for me.

Having a great song like this one to record made it that much better. Kudos!

Blessings,

Glad it could encourage you. Your setup is awesome. Feel pumped and go make some great music!

2. Mark

Graham, yet again you astound me with your talents and drive :)
    So glad there are people out there like you! What a great teacher! Struggling with some of my tracks at the mo – will I ever finish them?!! You inspire me to keep at it lol :) Cheers

3. Tom

I really appreciate it that you do this kind of tutorials, it really helps me to go back to the basics instead of buying more gear.

I just have one (maybe a stupid) question: When you are recording the drums, you and the drummer both have a headphone, do i need a headphone splitter for this?

Thank you so much for all the help you gave us so far!

Hi Tom,

I’m actually only wearing headphones to protect my hearing since I’m 4 feet away from a drum it :-) Otherwise a headphone splitter will do the trick.

4. Carlo

Amazing! The 4th point is the best: There are no excuses anymore!
    I’m wondering if you can get a nice similar sound for a full band playing live, all together :D

5. Andrew Bauserman

Graham – I love this song – my second favorite on the album (next to Isaiah’s song). Every time it comes up on my iPod the groove reminds me of the Doors (e.g., “Hello, I Love You”). Different instrumentation – but definitely that retro vibe. Pulling off this mix with as little gear as you did shows your skill and creativity – and gives the rest of us a kick in the pants (and a lack of excuses).

Appreciate the support Andrew. Means a lot. I need to be kicked in the pants…often.

6. Gabe

That was amazing.
    Really helpful and timely too.
    One thing, how do you record the electric guitar through an amp simulator without getting latency?

I just turned the buffer setting in Pro Tools down to 128. Couldn’t really hear or feel any noticeable latency.

• Gabe

Thanks.
        Are you going to release this version of the song for download? I kinda like it better than the album version! :D

7. Srdjan

Great video lesson and great song!!! I’m learning from every day. Thanks!
    Graham, could you please give me some feedback about my gear.
    I have Cubase 7, KRK ROKIT 6 G2, Digi 002 rack, Focusrite Sarlett 2i2 and AKG C 414 TL II. Is it possible to record entire album and mix it at home.

Yes! You have a great setup. I’ve made countless records with a 002rack and cheaper microphones than the 414.

• Srdjan

Cool!
        I’m going to watch this inspirational video one more time!
        You are incredible guy! Thanks one more time! :)

8. Raymeous

Nice timing!

I just did a similar mono mic experiment about a week ago on my kit using my Rode NT2a.

With the help of a drummer buddy of mine we did 9 tests consisting of 3 different positions (Front of kit, front overhead, rear overhead) and three different mic HPF settings (0, 40Hz, and 80Hz).

You can only learn so much by reading and watching YouTube clips. At some point, you actually have to go out and do this stuff. We had a lot of fun messing with it, and I’ll bet you will to. =)

Here’s a link to my forum post about it: http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/drums-percussion/mono-micing-kit-works-well-sort-357734/

• Sai

Hey, I’ve also got the Rode NT2 and I was wondering about the same issue so thank you for documenting it, I’ll be checking out that post and also trying it out by myself. Cheers!

9. Konstantin

Just today in the morning I was thinking about recording a song with one mic. Nice video! It really encouraged me^ I’m going to take this challendge!

10. Dustin

Very inspiring video! I have a similar setup and actually prefer this version to the album version! Love the drum sound! I think it would be cool to take this experiment a step further Graham, and maybe try this with your most expensive LDC mic just to compare! I think one of the keys to why this song sounds so good is that even though the recording equipment you are using is affordable, you are also using DECENT instruments that are in good shape. Pro Tools can’t make your crappy guitar with 2 year old strings sound like Slash or Jimmy Page! Just goes to show you what decent yet affordable instruments and recording gear can do!

One of the best studio “investments” you can make is new guitar strings (and drum heads at that).

11. Michel

This is just awesome!!!!! I never try to record a drum because my friends were saying that it was complicated, you’ve got to check out the phase and bla bla bla. I discovered your website I thinks 4 months ago and I never been that confident from my entire life. Just whant to thank you Graham, you simply ROCK.

Awesome. Keep it simple and go for it. Who says it has to be complicated?!

12. Pete Bontej

I’m definitely trying this with my band in a couple weeks. I’ll email you the results.

13. Dave Hiser

Graham…that is just sick!!! One mic??? One simple interface??? Awesome recording??? You’ve done it again.

BTW – was looking for something to do a couple of weeks ago so I packed up the family and we drove to Cleveland (about 3 hours away) and went to the R and R Hall of Fame. One thing that I found incredible was the gear that all of the incredible music in there was played on. Basically – it was old beat up (sometimes hand made) stuff. Not all pretty and shiny but gouged and carved on and beat up really bad gear. Made me relate it to recording.

It isn’t the gear. Its what you do with what you have. And what you have done here proves that again.

Keep up the good work.

14. Mike R

This really is inspiring. What stinks is I am confident in my gear:

Pro Tools Le.8, decent laptop, mic stand, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, MIDI Keyboard, and a CAD d19 Snare mic.

I’m going to try this but I’m curious if my d19 would get the job done.

15. jojo

Hey Graham, this is awesome. Thank you for sharing all your great ideas.

I love mono drums. Just a few weeks ago I recorded my band playing live in our rehearsal room. I have an 8 input audio interface, so I could track 2 guitars, bass and vocal on 4 tracks, which gave me 4 tracks for drums. First I tried Glyn Johns with additional kick and snare mics, which sounded great with the drums playing solo. But with the whole band playing there was of course a lot of bleeding in those overhead mics.This was hard to mix, because there were a different strength of bleeding in both mics, which made panning difficult. So I kicked off the mic located next to the floor tom and left only the one that was located over the snare and suddenly the mix worked just fine with all the drums (and the bleed), bass and vocal centered and the guitars panned hard left and right.

16. Jossie

Loved it, but you kinda need a balanced sounding drummer. For the style it’s just perfect.
    With a more upfront style ( like thrice for example, not too over the top) maybe there would be a lot of committing and mixing choices to do, but that’s just another thing hehe.
    I have to thank you for making my eyes open at least, and focus on what I need ( even though I don’t record bands, lack of space and confidence basically) and skip the gearslutz syndrome. Yes I know a 441 sounds cool on guitars but I don’t think it’s worth the money for hobbyists like myself ;)
    It’s funny the best things I’ve got recently were cheap considering the amount of use they get lately ( just a palmer active di, a palmer reamp box, and the glorious 57)

17. Thomas McGill

Absolutely inspiring….You are without question the best resource for pro tools I’ve come across since I started using the software, and I’m a Lynda.com member. The production of your videos and your communication skills are really really good. Thanks for doing what you do!

18. Daniel Booth

I thought for a second you were gonna go all Motown on us and literally record the whole band with one mic at the same time. Very cool though, great work Graham.

19. Javier DeLoza

Wow! Really fantastic and very encouraging. Your video work was awesome too! I was waiting for the the 5 way split screen, 4 Grahams and 1 centered Speedy.

20. Rod

Graham….easily my favorite video you’ve ever done. This is awesome from every perspective (including the song). Well done.

Didn’t use the 11Rack, just the Eleven Free software in Pro Tools Express. I just played a double of the part down the octave.

21. Bernie

Graham, what a great demonstration. I was full time recording for all kinds of audio production through out the 80′s. When we went on location many times with only one mic. With one mic you are forced to really LISTEN, no extra back up track(s) to rely on in mixdown. Excellent video and once again your explanation, plus sub-titles packs alot of info into 6.5 minutes. Kudos

22. John Paul

This is superb Graham! Reminds me of the song that I just recorded weeks ago. Almost the same approach, but with 2 mic drums using a Behringer XM8500 on the kick and an MXL 770 as the OH. I also used an M-Audio Fast Track C400 on a Pro Tools SE. I was curious at your mic placement, I will give it a try. :) God bless you!

23. Vincent

Great video.
    How can people still doubt recording great tracks with cheap gear like this is possible?
    You have convinced me last year, and got me to start home recording. I bought basic gear, and recorded my band. It was far from perfect, but it worked great, and no one could tell it was recorded in a crappy room, with budget gear.
    This video convinces me again.
    This video is just EPIC.

24. Vince Blake

Hi,

Loved the Video, The Vocals at 4:50 sound so so good, how did you do it?

Just a high pass filter and low pass filter. Chop off the high end and low end.

25. Greg

Great video… I’ll admit, I get caught up with the gear acquisition syndrome a lot. I’ve been fortunate enough to have a good amount of gear to choose from, and this video definitely solidifies the fact that it’s not as needed as previously thought haha. Good job!

26. Armando

This one mic challenge is AWESOME!! The song you played has a Foo Fighters vibe going for it. Im gonna try it some time this month! Thanks for the great vid. Your an inspiration

27. Bertrand

Hey Graham

Kudos, very inspiring video, well done. Another example for the fact that gear isn’t everything ;-)

Bertrand

28. Jon

Great job Graham! I would assume Pro Tools Express would let you bounce tracks down if you somehow needed more? Years ago we had a small 4 track machine and we’d record stereo drums and a bass track, bounce them over to track 4 then record guitars and bounce them to track 3, then finish up with vocals. It wasn’t ideal but it got the job done.
    In any case; I’ve really enjoyed your site and the reThink series. I think the most important thing I’ve picked up from you is to break from the “I need better gear” mentality. And this is another video that proves you are correct. Thanks again for the time you put into this site. It’s been a lot of help and entertaining as well!

Yes Jon, you can bounce down in PT Express, so yes you can have even more tracks that way. Thanks also for being a customer!

29. Jayce Benton

Reading all of your articles and watching your videos has helped me to become so much more confident in myself when it comes to recording. I have a lot of friends and colleagues that are gear snobs, and elitists about their equipment and plug-ins. My new mantra has been “remember the art preamp”.
    My first little piece of equipment I bought was a little 30$ tube preamp made by Art studios. It’s tiny, it’s cheap, and I use on just about every vocal recording I’ve done. Price should never be an indication of quality.
    Keep up the good work, God bless!

30. JP

What headphones did you use for tracking and mixing? Awesome video and the song. Hope I could introduce the song to our church. :)

31. Tinguaro Barreno

This 6 minutes video is the most practical home studio demo that I’ve seen. Thank you Graham!

Best wishes.

32. Kieran

Hey Graham,

Brilliant video. I always complain about my recordings and I’m always tempted to buy better stuff but that won’t help. I think I might just try this out.

I do have a couple of questions though,

Are you recording all the parts while listening to the original recording?
    And also, how would you go about doing this from scratch? If you didn’t have a track to listen to?

Again, great video, thank you very much for this and all your advice,
    Kieran (A fan from the UK :))

33. Nick

Great one Graham. Any chance we get the multi tracks for free to make our mixes and hear how they sound individually?

34. Allan Sanders

Hey Graham, so I have a 6 person band and I am considering buying an 8 channel audio interface for multitrack recording. I just thought if I got one that the band could just play through one good take and we would be done in 5 minutes. Would you suggest that I buy the interface or are there cons to recording this way?

35. Diego

hey Graham, i just saw this video and i wonder what’s your configuration? i mean, are you using the -10db button in the microphone? what’s the level of volume and gain input for the drums? i have a behringer xenyx 302 and i think i can try this technique. thank you for the information and cheers from Peru!

36. Brian Theoret

Great kick in the pants! Excellent advice Graham. Glad I spotted this in a recent Joe Gilder post. Good stuff. Now I’m feeling motivated to jump into my studio and get some stuff done! Thanks!

37. Rodentrockcity

Excellent recording! I just have a few questions : I have a ten piece double bass kit . Would 1 mic be ablle to suffice for such a monstrous kit? Would you position the mic the same for a situation as this or would a pair of overheads be a better route to go? Thanks.

Hard to say. It won’t have that modern upfront sound as a multi-miked kit. I would start where I had the mic in the video and then try in front of the kit as well.

• Rodentrockcity

Thanks brother! I was wondering what your thoughts were on my studio gear also. I have a zoom r16 , a mxl ribbon mic, audacity, blackstar ht 5 mini stack , MacBook, m audio bxa5 monitors, 4 guitars including a ESP mf100 which is my main player, Washburn bass and of course my redicoulous drumset…. Does this equipment have the capability of making some killer professional recordings giving that I learn what I’m doing with it? Is there anything that you would upgrade ? I’m just curious what your thoughts are … Thanks again..

38. cornfieldexpress

hi, just read this post. one item of interest was the mixing on Headphones. i use Shure SRH840s and have just recently installed the 112DB Redline Monitor into my DAW in the Master output for monitoring and mixing. still getting used to it. would look forward to a review on the same if you or any other users have experience with it.

39. david

Clearly you are deleting comments that are calling you out on how lame this Chirst pushing bullshit no edge song is right?

• Patrick

Atheist over here, and I didn’t mind the song. Sure, maybe I’d prefer for RecordingRevolution that you use songs that aren’t as likely to encourage obnoxious people to write dumb comments like the one above, but it’s your channel and I’m aware that the Christian worship songs are just something you like to do anyway, and it’s something you’re familiar with. More importantly, the point of the video had nothing to do with the song’s lyrics–the sound was great even though you were using such a limited setup. Great video. My current rig is similar to the one here, so this makes me feel more confident in my gear and more inspired to improve my recording/mixing skills. Thanks for the video!

My current setup consists of a Macbook Pro, M Audio Fast Track with 2 inputs (most often used to record guitar line-in), Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, a USB mic that I got with Guitar Hero World Tour (not sure if there’s another name for it…no mic stand though), a couple of amps, a couple of effects pedals, and a few DAWs incuding Reaper and ProTools SE, but mostly I just stick to GarageBand for whatever reason. Thinking about possibly getting a 57 and some monitors, but not sure how much I actually need the upgrade.

I was reading your setup and thinking the exact same thing: monitors and a mic like a 57 would be great addition.

40. Mary Shaw

Thanks so much for this video! It arrived in my inbox today after subscribing to your site. Wow, great song and it really inspired me to go for it with my simple setup in Logic. Keep up the great work!

41. Gitlvr

LOve that the drummer’s name is “Speedy”. Where can I find your music? Love it. Searched on Youtube and all I get are bands that are most assuredly NOT Christian.

42. lawrence Osaneku

That was an awesome recording. I write from Lagos Nigeria. Although most producers here use virtual instruments, I am one of the few who loves recording live. I highly appreciate your work. I am just about beginning to learn audio engineering. You are making it look so simple. To achieve this level of result requires an understanding of Sound. How to edit is what I badly need to learn. Can you recommend any material to me.

Lawrence. Laagos, Nigeria

43. Bob

Graham you have totally inspired me to get a much simplier set up! The track sounds well produced and generally an awesome tune! Thanks again brother!

Bob

44. Jeff

Hey Graham, thanks for the video! I have a question! I have an M box pro with 4 mic channels and four line channels (which I’m uncertain if all 8 can be used separately and simultaneously). My biggest recording concern is with my drummer. He’s a great drummer, but dude the complexity of the songs we do and his constant changing of fills etc… he has to listen to at least the guitarist play along with him in order to execute his drumming correctly. The problem is that when the guitarist plays along with him it also bleeds over to his tracks (used to be two overhead Sure SM57′s and a Sure 52 kick mic, but we are rearranging to as many drum mics that can be fitted to each drum head). We tried having him listen to a track over the headphones, but he says the volume just isn’t there and can’t follow along very well with headphones. So what I was thinking of doing is buying a cheap 8 channel mixer so the whole band can plug in and record. The mix would be send to a mic input on my M box pro, then of course to Protools 11. I realize this will still have bleeding over on tracks from the drum kit mics, but I don’t know what else to do. I’d like to record everybody separately, but the drummer needs a good reference and more than the M box’s 4 channels.

I have a 4 piece Audio Technica drum kit set, the Sure SM57/52 drum kit set, a Sterling Audio ST66 condenser mic with preamp for phantom power, one set of Sennheiser 280 pro, 64 ohm headphones, and the drums have two snares of diff. diameters, two toms, two floor toms, hi-hat, two crashes, a ride, some china, and a couple splashes! I have other mcs, but were using them for vocals. Oh and by the way, I also have a Tascam 2488 neo that I have absolutely no idea how to assign to master track to burn CDs etc and actually get some use out of!

Thanks for reading, Jeff.

Hey Jeff, can you not have the guitarist play direct through an amp sim so that there is no bleed?

• Jeff

I suppose I could lol! But I’m actually the guitarist and very new to this recording thing lol. I’m new to what’s what and how to do these otherwise simple tactics.

Does plugging in my guitar through an amp sim mean that I would be playing through something similar to Eleven Rack (which I don’t have the lol. My stuff is the bare bones plug-ins and interface)? Would this also mean that both me and my guitarist would have to be listening in through two sets of headphones?

45. Barker

This was an absolutely amazing video to watch. It’s so easy to get drowned in the world of gear, plugins, effects, and automation, that we forget how the industry got started! Eight tracks can be just enough! I am a big-time Logic Pro user, but your videos transcend the constraints of any single DAW. Everything you deliver has been used in my studio, brother. Everything. Talk about an insanely beautiful, yet passive effect you’ve had on my life, and the lives of so many others. Keep it up!

Thanks for the inspiration!

- Barker

46. Matt

Every time my mind starts to wander and I feel like I need different or better gear, I listen to this video to set myself straight. It motivates me to improve my mixing skills and get the best out of what I have, thanks Graham!

47. John Varney

Cool! I used a Focusrite 2i2 ($150) and a Behringer B-2 Pro ($150) myself to record my first full-fledged album this year. Kudos to you and your efforts!

48. Nathan

That was awesome Graham. Yea, I know, a little late on watching this one. I’ve been busy with school and have been catching up with some of your posts I’ve missed over the last while.

The first album I self-recorded was using an m-audio deal with only 2 inputs. I got stuff done because I wasn’t letting myself get bogged down with the details of recording, I was focused on writing music. Listening back to it 5 years later there’s things I could have done better for sure, but if I’d worried about getting everything perfect I would have never finished the album.

Yep. We get too bogged down the “better” we get. Need to come back to keeping things simple.

49. Christopher Jansen

Graham, my writing partner turned me on to your site. We’ve been at this for a while and have spent countless nights in the studio. Regardless of what we’ve learned and have yet to learn, I feel your site is a huge help for a lot of musicians (us included) out there with a universe of recording options. This video is fantastic and serves to remind us there’s so much power (and human emotion) conveyed in simplicity. Also…this is a great tutorial in how to fundamentally stick to the project tempo which in turn helps keep everything nice and tight. Anyone watching this video, particular where there’s the constant struggle to rush phrases: check out how nicely things are executed here. Great job! And thanks for the priceless examples and knowledge you are sharing.

50. Allan Bremer

Friday Morning – January 17th, 2014 @ 9:14am Oklahoma
    I’m a VIP’er over at Joe’s site and that is how I found out about you. What an awesome video and I’m so pleased to know what you stand for. I think the greatest things in life stem from simplicity and you have proved that here. I am a beginner and use Logic Pro X along with a Macbook Pro. I’m building my house, and now my home studio recording room. I’m going to ‘dive deep’ into your site and become a part of what your doing. Thank you for helping us!
    Allan from Checotah, Oklahoma

51. Tony Atilano

Hi Graham. Fantastic job on your “one mic” recording. I’d like to thank you for all your videos and for your straight talk about what it takes to improve our craft. I’m 56 years old and have worked in many studios over the years. Either as a solo trumpeter or as a horn arranger and section leader. I never realized how much work, patience and solid experience it takes to create the finished product. Now that I’m learning the art of recording myself, I really appreciate all the engineers that I’ve worked with over the years. I also make music for the Lord and I want you to know that you are inspiring me to keep on learning and practicing my skills so that I can concentrate on the MUSIC. I have a long way to go but the journey is awesome. Keep up your passion for teaching and I’ll keep taking advantage of the knowledge that you pass on to us. I pray that you have a happy and productive 2014. God bless you.

52. briguy1960

Graham, Between you and Joe Gilder I am hitting the reset button on my approach to studio recording. Its too easy to get fixated on pricey gear(I have killer stuff for a home studio) Time to stop sweating the tech minutiae and lay down and mix more tracks. Like others, it would be fun to access the original tracks. I suspect you are a pretty good mixer! Been at this for over 30 years and still having fun!

cheers ,

B

53. Jim Clarke

Hi graham
    I am new to recording! Can you tell me if there is a tutorial video out there that explains how to clean up my vocals IATA the production stage? People tell me I am a good singer, but my recordings sound terrible,why is this? I. Hear so many songs on youtube that have been produced in a way I cannot figure out, they are clean and crisp. I know the tricks of doubling the recording and adding reverb and echo but still my recordings sound terrible. Can you help? By the way I have some good quality gear, but it doesn’t help.
    Cheers
    Jim

54. Ernesto

Graham you’re great!
    This video is a kind of Galilean approach to your 1# rule!!
    Very much to learn!
    Ciao!

55. Vince

Nice track man, amazing what one mic can do huh. I was wondering how you managed to get the chorus vocals to sound the way they do? Did you record a harmony track over it or is it a effect…?

Keep up the awesome work man.

• Patrick

Gang vocals. There was a video he uploaded recently–either that or he sent it to the newletter subscribers recently–where he talks about recording gang vocals and uses the chorus part of this song as an example. It’s possible that was for a different recording of the song, but that would be my best guess.

56. Jose Ocando

Graham, I was so pleased to watch and listen such a great work! Congratulations X 1000! I really enjoy reading and watching your posts and videos.

All the best!

57. Joaco

Hi Graham, exactly what I wanted, ‘cuz of the limited gear I have… Question… If I could record TWO mics for the drums, where would you recommend me to set the other? The condenser over the shoulder of the drummer, and the dynamic?? (Is the only extr mic Ive got) Thanks :)

58. Michael Mekonen

Man…… Dude how did u do that…?!!???!!!’
    I got an imac and apollo duo interface and pro tools 11.
    And I can’t get that sound….. that means I’m using and doing something wrong.
    P.s. I love the way u Glorify my Father keep it up.

• Gabe

The two main things are that Graham is insanely good at recording, and that his instruments sound great.

If your instruments don’t sound very good, no amount of gear or recording skill will help that. If they do sound great, then move the mic around a lot until it sounds good.

59. Olivier

audio industry will kill you soon…
    We will be your bodygards :)
    Great job !!!

60. Kaleb Burchett

Thanks Graham for all the help you are giving us! I have Studio One 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2, and KRK Rokit 5s. I am wanting to open my house studio (my room) to people to record. My question is what should I charge for hourly being its a small set up? I have been thinking $20 an hour. I am really tired of retail, and I just wana start making a living off of this.

61. Lutfi

Hi Graham! Wow that is what I’m looking for, because I dont have a lot of money but I want make it with just some bucks, thanks! Anyway, could you give me some sort of tutorial how to mix that drum which recorded just by one mic.

62. Jc

All I can say is Wow!!!
    Very humbling and enlightening, more of the old adage K.I.S.S. or just set up and play!
    We are living in amazing techno times!
    Thanks for sharing I’ve only been on your site a short few weeks and have learned tons Ty !
    Keep those kick in the pants coming….love a good challenge!
    Do I detect a nod to the Creator in your music? Great job! High five the drummer too!!!
    Thanks again nothing but the best,
    Jc

63. Jordon Bigelow

Hey Graham,
    I currently have 2 mics that are both Sterling. An SP-50 and an SP-20, I have an M-audio M-track plus, and pro tools express. Do you think I could record a full band with this stuff? Also it’s on a Mac Mini 4GB of ram.

64. Gabe

Aw, you deleted the spam comment. You can delete my response too; it doesn’t make any sense now. :P

1.  The Over-The-Shoulder Drum Mic Technique » The Recording Revolution