Mastering In PreSonus Studio One [Video]

| Audio Example, Plugins, Product Review, Tips, Video

So I finally got a chance to master some albums in Studio One from PreSonus, and I’m hooked. I’ve had my eye on the built in Project Page feature of Studio One Pro for some time now, and all I can say is, mastering in Studio One is pure joy. The combination of refreshing workflow, ease of use, and deep functionality makes Studio One king of the castle for in the box mastering. Here’s a little overview.

35 Responses to “Mastering In PreSonus Studio One [Video]”

1. Davlet Linares

Frankly speaking, Studio One is very fast in terms of workflow. Much faster than Pro Tools. All those drag’n’drop, quicksearch, quick subgroup, quickthis and quickthat functions makes it my number one DAW for postproduction. But I don’t like mixing in it. But I still want some of its features to apperar in Pro Tools. Features like mastering (shown above) and quicksearch for a plugin. I’ve heard many engineers that were telling about importance of doing everything fast. And today our favourite Pro Tools is losing in this competition. And that is sad.

I agree. They are on to something with this software. Fresh approach. Fresh code. Some great innovations.

2. Andrew Bauserman

Does S1 take care of dither by default when you render to CD/DPP or did you have to set that up in another step?

• Riad

Yes, by default it takes care of dithering. If not then there’s Option>Advanced>Audio>[Check]Use dithering for audio devices and audio file export.

3. RayManuel

I agree with Davlet as well I Love the workflow on studio one and the mastering suite its great which i currently use for mastering but i just dont like mixing in studio one im pro tools all the way but i wished PT included more features available in Studio one good thing I have both and encourage anyone else to get it..

4. Brandon

I fell in love with Studio One the month that it came out and have not turned back since.

Another great benefit is that if you mix your songs in S1, you can import them directly into the Project/Mastering interface and S1 will take care of the initial render of the latest version of your mix.

Then if you need to make tweaks to the song itself, you can launch it right there from within the Project, make your changes, save the song and then when you go back into the Project, S1, knowing that the song has been changed, will offer to re-render and re-import into your Project session so that you don’t have to do it manually.

It’s an amazing DAW, thanks Graham for getting into it!

5. Ian Shepherd

Great overview !

This workflow and presentation isn’t really unique, it’s basically exactly the way Wavelab presents everything, but I have to say its laid out in a much clearer (and better-looking) way – and, the ability to automatically export mp3s, WAVs etc looks very tempting. I think I’m going to have to give it a try…!

6. Daniel

I wish they would come out with a standalone mastering version, That would be boss.
    Either way, great video as always

7. Kevin

I use Studio One as well and I think it’s absolutely great. However, I only have the free version. (Pretty broke) How can I master my tracks, without the mastering suite? Is it even possible? I only have a simple channel strip with the free version. (3 band eg with a LC, and a simple compressor) Thanks for all your videos and articles, you’ve really helped me understand this world of audio so much better!

-Kevin

You definitely don’t NEED this software to master. I’ve been mastering in Pro Tools (regular DAW) for years.

8. Matthew

I’ve been using a program called “WaveBurner” (came bundled with Logic Studio) for mastering projects for a long time. It’s almost identical to this. I agree that it’s a kind of workflow that makes mastering much much easier. I’m glad you’ve found a tool that works for you.

9. Aaron

I haven’t upgraded to Protools 10 yet because of Studio One v2.5. For a long time I felt that I had to have Protools, but now I don’t. Although, I still use my Digi 002.

Glad you’re enjoying Studio One. Long live the 002! Had mine for almost 8 years and made a lot of records with it!

• Hammy Havoc

At first it was difficult to give something but Pro Tools HD a chance, but I started using Studio One v2.5 yesterday and I haven’t looked back since, there’s a few little things I’m not too sure on yet (I’ve yet to read the documentation), but the workflow is superb. Pro Tools HD and Logic Pro feel quite dated by comparison to it. I honestly didn’t think that for a little over £300 anything was going to be *better* than something I paid over a thousand for. Quite honestly I am stunned by Studio One. Got to love that ARA too!

10. Thomas Baumgaertel

nice video. i am mastering with PT too, but i miss the possibility to render offline, burn cd`s, make crossovers with two songs in the CD tracklist setup and export to DDP. with waveburner i could do this, but its a dead end street, and i not even updatet my logic to make it work on my intel mac :)

i am always close to buy wavelab or studio 1 to get those posibillities back, but i always think, that 300 bugs or even 500 for wavelab are much money for something i can do without it too.

i go with daniel…a standalone version would be awesome

11. Shawn

I have been using some version of Cakewalk software for the last 20 years, back to Cakewalk 2 or 3 up to Sonar X1. I was thinking of upgrading to Sonar X2, but I saw a couple of videos on Studio One and downloaded the demo. I immediately switched over to Studio One. With the limited amount of time I have to do music right now, the workflow allows me to be more productive and that’s the most important thing. Thanks Graham for the video.

12. Jesús Ortega Ochoa

Since you use this software for mastering. I’m wondering how I should enter the ISRC. Do I need to add the hyphens or just the characters with no space?

I hope you can finish with this doubt.

Thanks,

Jesús

I actually never enter in my own ISRC codes so I’m not sure. You could hit up PreSonus and ask!

13. Luyanda

I’m from Cubase, Sonar8 and Fruitloops and have made my mind with StudioOne.
    There’s no turning back…I love ST1 the way all.

They should show up in S1 if installed on your computer, assuming they are 3rd party VSTs and not stock Cubase stuff.

14. Noah

Great video! I have Studio one artist for over a year and am thinking of upgrading to this so that I can have access to this mastering setup. Ozone and Waves were also recommended to me by friends. I have never personally mastered anything before, but I have been around a lot of engineers who have showed me a lot. Also, I have also recorded/mixed albums before. I know this is a very open question, but do you think this is a worthwhile option or would you recommend a different program. Thanks.

15. Daniel

I recently upgraded to S1 2 just because of the Mastering Suite. It’s sweet, just like you describe it in your video. The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is the best method to insert a reference track for comparison since there is only one mix bus available in the S1 Mastering Suite (which is where one would put a limiter or tape/console emulation or whatever global effect). As a long time Recording Revolution follower, I’ve learned that a reference track of a commercial industry standard production is rather important…

Greetings from Amsterdam,
    Daniel

16. Kevin

Thnx Gram u always give me some new to learn I been on Ableton for a while moved to Pro tools loved it to bits.So will it be worthwhile trying the mastering suite sections just for final masters-export-dither etc cos I been using ozone for all that will it be an added benefit to consider ST1?thnx

• Graham Cochrane

It’s really the workflow and metering tools that I find helpful in S1. If you already have a good setup with Ozone in Abelton then it’s not necessary.

1.  Mastering in Presonus Studio One.