It’s A Whole New Revolution

| The #1 Rule of Home Recording, Tips

It’s official. The Recording Revolution has a new logo! I want to give a major shout out to David Keltonic Design for helping me give the branding a makeover. I also want to take today as an opportunity to re-cast the vision of The Recording Revolution to all of you new (and old) readers.

Times Have Changed

I started The Recording Revolution because I saw a void in the “home studio” and “pro audio” world: no one was preaching the message of do a lot of great music with minimal gear. Instead I saw the opposite message plastered every where: “Get all the latest (and vintage) stuff, don’t skimp, and THEN you just might be able to make a great recording.” But that’s┬áridiculous!

Times have changed people. You no longer need a mixing console, DAT machines, outboard gear, and lots of space to have a professional studio. Thanks to computers and the ever improving DAW, people like you and me can record, edit, mix, master, and release quality music from a bedroom! Notice I said “can”. Just because you have Pro Tools doesn’t mean you’ll make a hit record. You still need talent and vision. But lack of a big budget is no longer the deciding factor, you are.

Give Up The Quest For Gear

If you truly want to make better music now, then you have to get this into your head: your quest for more gear has to end. Gear is not your answer. It’s not what separates you from the pros. Ironically, your non-stop pursuit of more gear (the latest and greatest tool) will actually hinder you from making great music. You would be far better off spending $300 on a basic setup and then making a hit record with only that.

Don’t even think about buying more stuff until you’ve made great music with that basic setup. It simply is a waste of your time and money. And more importantly it will handicap you from real growth in your craft. Every time you turn to another piece of gear to help realize your musical dreams you’re likely trading it for a chance to improve your skill. Don’t make that mistake.

You Can Make Better Music Now!

Did you know that you could start making better music right now? It’s true. That’s exactly what this website is all about. Information is powerful and if you use it, you can improve your recordings and mixes this week. I try and post articles, tips, videos, tutorials, and interviews that give you insight into the art of recording music. Take advantage of it all and I promise you your music will improve, now! And in time, your music will get even better.

If you’re new, start by reading my ebook The #1 Rule Of Home Recording. It’s totally free and will help you get the proper philosophy of creating music. Then go watch all 31 videos of my latest free series 5 Minutes To A Better Mix. Then click through the categories or search in the search bar for things you are interested in. With over 250 posts at The Recording Revolution, I’m sure you’ll find something that will help YOU make better music now!

No Responses to “It’s A Whole New Revolution”

1. Jason

Great logo! I don’t know if everyone will immediately see the “R” created by negative space, but the gain display metaphor certainly leaves no doubt that you are in the audio production realm.

Yes, I’m a logo nerd.

Nice work! :)

2. Peter Jaques

Graham, you’re my hero. Thanks for the reminder, thanks for the 31 days of awesome tips (still working through them, couldn’t keep up every day! ;), thanks for encouraging us to make great music now with what we have.

3. Luis

Amen! Graham, well said.

I’m one of your old readers. And in the last 2 years I’ve seen many other sites dedicated to audio production in general. None come close to the Recording Revolution!

Your responsibility and commitment is truly evident. You have been an inspiration to me and as we all know, to many others as well!

Keep up the good work…

God bless!

4. mark

thank you graham for your mixfix and this amazing site and the whole series of valuable lessons, videos and articles. you’ve listened to my mix which i did after watching your youtube channel from first video to last. The most amazing and awesome videos for me was recording guitars(acoustic and electric) and the whole 5 minutes series. I couldnt believe that all i need is 300-400$ to buy the most needed stuff and im ready to go. You site and the first video that ive ever watched, it’s like during the whole video it was saying right in the middle “$100 for your mic, $100-200 for you audio interface and you – that’s all you need to create and record music on your own”. Your concept inspired me to finally work and since i watched the very last video of yours, i did a few commercial mixes for a local band and upgraded my Pro Tools to version 9. And I keep working to buy a few good things for my studio(ONLY! what i need to!). I will not ever again spend tons of money buying some “rare vintage tube stuff” that will allow me to make a great recordings. And sorry, I just cant stop thanking you in every post.

5. John

Hey Graham, I agree with the minimal gear mantra, but I find that no matter how basic my recording setup I still need something to record, and quality intruments do make a difference, so yes I spent $2000 on a Les Paul etc for example, could i have got by with a cheaper guitar, yes, but not one that i’d hand down to my son one day :-). So I just wanted draw that distinction between the recording gear and the instruments. Drums, keybords, guitars, bass, etc. I guess i could beat on some coffee cans in a pinch.

Yeah, John. I understand that a great instrument can go a long way. It’s still amazing though how some of the overseas made guitars and amps sound though!

6. Scott Colesby

Love the new logo. You’re running a great website. Between you and Joe Gilder, I have gained enough knowledge to just make my music and not over think it.

7. Peterson

I agree, the “Quest for Gear” is often counterproductive. It seems like there are two activities that people mistakenly group when starting out: investing in quality gear for your studio, and learning to record. Do the second one as much as you possibly can. Do the second one only as much as you need to make wise investments.

8. Matt

Ears over gear! I have taken pride in using gear that my music shop was going to THROW AWAY. For less than $100 gear investment (computer excluded) I have made better and better music every year by focusing on listening and learning from generous and knowledgeable people like yourself. There is nothing like the feeling I get when an artist tells me they prefer the recording they made in my apartment over the version they spent thousands recording in a “pro” studio. Good gear can take you that last 2% into pro sound, but you have to bring the other 98% yourself! Thanks for all the great content.