Two Singer-Songwriter Studios For Under $300

| Pro Tools, Tips

If you’re  brand new to recording and are a singer-songwriter, then this is the post for you! When it comes to digital recording these days you need a few components, but with so many to choose from it can be overwhelming. Let me help make things super simple for you by outlining two complete studio options for you that will get you up and running with your music making in no time!

Option #1 The Presonus 1Box

Presonus makes a fantastic line of audio interfaces, mic pres, and live mixing consoles and have recently had some great success with their launch of Studio One, their very own DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) recording software. In 2010 they began releasing a package deal on some of their gear called the 1Box, as a complete recording solution for singer-songwriters.

The 1Box retails for $249 and is made up of their AudioBox USB interface, a 2 channel device with 2 microphone preamps built in, zero latency monitoring, headphone and monitor outputs, and is completely bus powered over USB. This gives you all the connectivity you would ever need for vocals, guitars, bass, keyboards, even some basic drum recording. Alongside the interface is a large diaphragm condenser mic, a pair of studio headpohnes, a mic cable, and of course the USB cable to connect the AudioBox USB to your mac or PC.

Studio One Artist Included

The final and most important piece of the 1Box puzzle is the included Studio One Artist recording software. This is a completely pro DAW that boasts unlimited tracks, professional mixing effects/plugins, built in loops and virtual instruments, and awesome drag-and-drop functionality. Once you open it up and get a bit more familiar with the software you can honestly be recording, editing, and mixing great sounding tracks in no time.

The only things that you will need to record that are NOT included in the 1Box are a solid mic stand and pop filter. These are necessities and can be had for under $50 total. Don’t be fooled into thinking people just sing into their studio microphones without a pop filter (like the ads might display). It’s just not true. Grab a pop filter and thank me later.

Option #2 The Avid Recording Studio

As a self proclaimed Pro Tools lover you knew I had to include a Pro Tools option. And Avid has put together a super affordable entry into home recording that is great for newbies. The Avid Recording Studio is an aptly named bundle of hardware and software that retails for $119. It’s mainly comprised of an M-Audio Fast Track audio interface featuring USB connectivity, 2 inputs, one mic pre, and inputs for guitar, bass, and keys. Like the Presonus AudioBox it features zero latency monitoring and headphone/monitor outputs.

Pro Tools SE Included

Included in the box is a copy of Pro Tools SE, a simpler version of the popular recording software that is perfect for singer-songwriters. You get all of the recording and editing power of Pro Tools (things like Elastic Audio) along with many of it’s best plugin effects, as well as over 100 virtual instruments (plus tons of loops) to help fill out your arrangements. The big limitation of SE is the total track count (16 audio and 8 instrument), but honestly if you can’t make a great recording with 24 tracks, the problem may not be your software.

Unlike the 1Box bundle this package does not include any other hardware. So here is what you’ll need to round out the studio and get you up and running:

Two Options-Unlimited Potential

I’ve written about it in my eBook, but I’ll say it again. Keeping things simple is super important. Having a few quality components, learning them well, and jumping in are what a new comer to recording needs. The above two studio options are simple and affordable. But they are powerful! Don’t be fooled into thinking you need anything more than this to make killer music in your home studio.

Grab up the basic gear you need, learn the craft, fight the myths, and just get to making music. You’ll be glad you did.

37 Responses to “Two Singer-Songwriter Studios For Under $300”

1. Mr.B

I have actually owned both of these interfaces, though not used any of the other portions – I started with the Fast Track mk II (which is the interface included with the Avid studio) and it was nice and I used it for a solid year, but I had a desire to record guitar tracks and a piano in stereo, so I picked up the AudioBox USB. They both sound great and they’re both inexpensive, and the best part is they’re easy to use. Input and output knobs and phantom power switches and that’s about it. The Presonus has a nice “mixer” knob to balance playback from your DAW with what you’re recording so you can be sure you’re hearing yourself well.

In both cases I’ve used the included software, though at the time Pro Tools included with the Fast Track was PT8 M-Powered Essential. It had almost NONE of the great tools PT is known for – nearly everything on the menu had a little Digidesign logo next to it indicating that I should “Step up” to PT M-Powered. So I bought Sonar Home Studio instead and while it’s a pain, at least it works and it doesn’t try to upsell me in-app. Plus it was cheap, I got it for $100. Not sure I’d make that choice again, though I stuck with it.

The Studio One Artist software on the other hand is FANTASTIC. It doesn’t support VST plugins, but neither does Pro Tools, and the included instruments are very good. I’ve found that since I got the Audio Box I’ve recorded more in Studio One Artist than I have in Sonar. There was so very little learning curve outside of a new hotkey setup, and everything in the browser is drag-and-drop. If I want to add a new instrument track I just drag it from the browser into an empty space in my track, and I’m read to record MIDI. If I want to use a loop, I drag it into an empty part of the track and it creates a new audio track for my drum loop.

Personally if I were in a position where I had to start over with absolutely no gear, I’d buy the One Box. The included software is really easy and the interface is great. The mic looks like any number of the famous $100 large diaphragm mics, and the headphones are probably suitable for tracking at least. Plus you can get it for as little as $220 from Musician’s Friend. Sweetwater is my preference but they don’t seem to carry it.

Enough rambling, just know that from someone who’s used both of these options, they really do sound good. Hopefully PT SE is closer to PT LE than PT M-Powered Essentials was, because it was little more than demo-ware.

• Cameron Norman

PreSonus Studio One Artist actually hosts a very select few vst plugins. The names are, I think, reaktor and guitar rig or whatever PreSonus bundles with Artist. Anyways, you can rename four of your favorite plugins to the name of the bundled plugins and it will recognize them! Just four plugins might be invaluable to some who are just starting out, so this could be really helpful.

2. Graham

Mr. B – Great comment. Pro Tools SE is better than Essentials was. But to be sure it’s a limited version. Glad you’re digging Studio One. It’s a great piece of software.

3. Marc Lapointe

I really enjoyed this article. I think that for the most part, many of your readers are hobbyist like myself and tend to get caught up in GAS. Unfortunately, I am one of them. There is so much you can do to get your music recorded with minimal investment. For the beginner and the hobbyist, focusing on learning the tools (Mic Placement, Mixing, and FINISHING) is far more important than the hours and money spent on gear. I look back at the year that I have dedicated to learning recording, the countless dollars spent on gear, and kinda wish I had found an option like the ones you described before undertaking this venture.

Either way, it was a fun, challenging, and learning adventure…

4. Toby Baxley

Graham- have you used the Studio One software? I am trying to set up a friend to do some guitar tracks for me. He is using GarageBand but is having trouble exporting full-resolution tracks for me. Do you know if SOA has this ability? Ir seems like a great box and software, but that would be a deal killer.

5. Peter Bata

Hello and thank you for the information. It appears that the image located in the box at the beginning of the article is not being rendered properly. Have tried loading the page in several browsers. Just my 2 cents.

6. Andy

I recently got MobilPre with included Pro Tools SE as I want to be able to do more “at home”. The MobilPre will not install on my PC with Windows 7. So,back to the drawing board. After doing quite a bit of research ( I am a full time player and don’t have too much time for all this), I am going to swap it out and add a few more bucks to acquire the Prosonus 2X2 USB ( a higher quality unit than MobilePre) with Studio One DAW. It has a few plug ins within the Interface unit allowing some reverb and so forth while you are recording. Check out all of the YouTube info one Studio One.
    Although I am not really into recording as much as I am writing and performing, it seems that Prosonus has really put together a great high quality unit along with full functioning very capable software, not a “demo”. I have a Korg D-1600 that does an excellent job as well. I record in professional studios with very high end gear that I can’t pronounce with people who know they’re stuff. I have just for fun, put together a CD that has a few tracks from the studio and a few that I did with the Korg. Untrained ears have a difficult time telling the difference. If there was a way to connect the Korg to the computer, I wouldn’t be here. As I look at the MobilePre Box sitting here all packed up again waiting to go back to the Music Store. with Pro Tools SE inside I ask. Should I just keep working with the installation after all, Pro Tools is well, Pro Tools?? Nah.. Studio One. It is the future.. . . for me.

All the best.

7. Gabe

How is the mic included in the 1Box? The 1Box seems like the way to go for me (has everything I need to get started), but if the mic is crud or not all that great…

8. Raymeous

Thank you Graham for your hard work and sharing of knowledge. Since discovering your site, I have been sharing this resource with all of my music buddies, both personal and forum based. I have referred many newbies to this article, as I think it is spot on, but it may be time for a small update.

Thanks again for your insights and enthusiasm.

9. konstantin ivanov

Hello Graham. Since discovering your site, i,m getting so match tips from you,r video lessons.. Thank you so match.

10. Jose

I have built my recording studio at home. All my walls are treated, and very soon I will be using the Arc System 2 to completely regulate the acoustics in my room. I have the focusrite red interface 2ins-2outs. It has very nice pre-amps. I have just compared it with the Universal Solo pre-amp, and to be honest, there is a difference, but not to much of it. The Focusrite for the price does a very close job to the Universal Solo. Focusrite for the buck (150 + tax) has very nice pre-amps. Basically what I am looking for is recording techniques. I need to learn more at a more professional level. I have some experience, but I need to learn more. Do you teach that????

I teach a lot about recording here on the site and in my tutorial products. Search around.

11. Jose

By the way. I also use Cubase 6.5, and very soon I will be upgrading to 7.
    I also use the universal plugins. I like the reverbs, but not so much the EQs. I think the EQs still have ways to go. I think this plugins are not to close to the hardware. When I use the Neve EQ plugins, they are not as wonderful as they claim to be. I hope the end mastering makes the recording sound much better.
    Question: In order to get a good separation between tracks in the mix, would a better interface, such as the BabyFace RME do the job better than the focusrite. I think I will get a more clear sound for sure, but what about separation??

Separation and clarity in your tracks comes from mic placement (in recording) and EQ (in mixing). Not a new audio interface.

12. Gabriel

Hi, I’m thiking of buying the Focusrite Scarlett Studio. It’s about the same price than the PreSonus, but I’ve heard from friends of mine and in forums and videos that Focusrite is better in their preamps (that are included on the Scarlett 2i2, included in the Scarlett Studio) and I don’t know why, but the mic that the Scarlett Studio has seems better than the PreSonus (this is just a visual thing :P). So… What do you think of the Scarlett Studio? And the Focusrite vs PreSonus thing? Not for a debate, I just want your opinion. And the Scarlett Plugin Suite that are included too. Is it good? Or better stay with Logic’s plugins? :)

Thanks!

13. Murray

Hi Graham. Thanks for all the tips in your emails and website. In your “number one rule of home recording”, you provided a link to the PreSonus Onebox package. How well does the M7 mic in that package stack up against the other mics you mentioned in the “number one…..” publication. Regards, Murray

14. Leo

Hey Graham, can you link the headphones again? I guess the link is broken… I just want to know what was you suggestion. Cheers!

15. Dani

Hey Graham, I was thinking about buying the mic Shure SM57. I play acoustic guitar and sing too. That mic is better that Samson C01 or the one in the firt box? Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

16. Kevin L Scott

I would really like to lean more about these tools and the software I am a song writer that does not read are write music just lyrics please email me any info that you can give me thank you

Kevin Scott

17. Joni Charles

My 13 year old daughter is a prolific singer-songwriter. She has recorded a couple of songs in a professional studio and would like to try her hand at home recording. Thanks for helping us sort through what she will need to buy. Before I go out and purchase anything, have any of your recommendations changed since you first posted the blog back in 2011? Thanks.

Nope! The models might be slightly different, but both brands have basically the same type of package going on today.

18. Dani

Focusrite iTrack Studio vs Presonus Audiobox Studio? I’ve the lastest iPad and was thinking about the first option. It allows me recording on iPad so I can record in anywhere. My pc is so much noisy, but Focusrite iTrack is compatible with pc too, so I’d have two in one. What do you think? The cuality of Presonus is better (mic, cables, interface…) than Focusrite or recording on iPad can be a good plus?

1.  It’s A Whole New Revolution | The Recording Revolution
  2.  Free The Music! | Ragg Productions
  3.  The Recording Revolution - Home Studio Tips To Help You Make Better Music Now
  4.  The Recording Revolution - Home Studio Tips To Help You Make Better Music Now
  5.  The Recording Revolution - Home Studio Tips To Help You Make Better Music Now
  6.  SM - 57 without an interface - Home Recording forums
  7.  Recording in the Digital Age | Transient Mobile
  8.  The Power Of Ignorance (And Why It’s Critical To Your Musical Success) | The Recording Revolution